23.12.08

faraway press . part two


Andrew Chalk "Blue Eyes of the March"
cd FP05

I used to have a radio show over at CiTR. It only lasted a couple of months but I do have some fond memories of the place. One of them being of drifting in and out of consciousness on the lounge room couch one night while listening to Blues Eyes of the March. I felt an odd sense of liberated dignity knowing that at a radio station with over 20,000 cds and many many records, I could still fill the air with music that would most likely never be replayed within those walls again. A music that drips with the sound of a submerged piano being played by the slow undulations of ocean currents. Pretty damn perfect, indeed.


Andrew Chalk "Goldfall"
cd, lp FP06

The next two are personal favourites of mine. Goldfall is simply stunning, as if Chalk extracted a portion of Eno's Thursday afternoon, turned it into a roll of ticker tape, held one end of the tape at the head of a large cliff face and watched it unravel to the ground. Then after rolling up the now beaten and partially damaged tape, he transformed it back into music again, thus leaving us with Goldfall.

First album featuring Vikki Jackman on piano. The second track is a reverse reworking of the first and equally as good. Packaging is incredible too. The cd a mini cardboard replica of the lp release. Both feature textured housing and a die cut(out) circle exposing the silk screened insert underneath. Unreal.


Andrew Chalk "The River That Flows into the Sands II"
cd, cassette C46 FP07

Along with Goldfall, The River That Flows II tends to remain in constant rotation. For the first few weeks I couldn't fall asleep to the album because it scared the shit out of me. I eventually got over it but I still get a weird feeling sometimes when listening to it. Aside from the gauzier center piece, I would consider this to be the darkest album I have ever heard. Not in the sense that the music sounds all that dark (ie Lustmord, Thomas Koner) but more for it's ability to set the listener in a state of unease as a result of it's foreboding characteristics. The hardest Chalk album to crack; but when I finally did, I never looked back. Held in the highest regard.


Andrew Chalk "East of the Sun"
cd, FP08

Here is a short review I wrote about East of the Sun back in April. this is it in it's original context

"Before I got the album I read somewhere that it was impossible to play loud. This is in fact the case and only adds to the overall appeal of this gorgeous slab of shifting drone and field recordings. Two looong tracks that require undivided attention but at the same time can fulfill a need for background noise. This is by far Chalk's most focused effort. I have always found that the two 20+minute track format has suited him best (Goldfall, Shadows From the Album Skies, The Days After). Great to play while meandering through a forest. Sounds slowly creep into the mix and it's hard to decipher if what you are hearing is that of the natural world or of Chalk's delicate sound palette. Simply put: A perfect record."

No comments: